Thursday, May 13, 2010

Welcome to a Long and Boring Summer! *WOOT*

Hi everyone, welcome! :)

As you can probably guess from the title of this blog, I am one of those nerdy pre-med students who aspire to become a doctor, and in my effort to achieve my goal, I will be writing my MCAT this summer.

First of all, a little about myself. My name is Alex Mycroft. I live in Canada and I am currently attending the University of Toronto... just finished my third year. I tried my luck with the MCAT last summer (without any sort of preparation)... and of course, I got raped.. >< and no... I'll save myself the embarrassment and keep my abysmal score to myself. But as Robert Allen once says: There is no failure, only feedback, instead of giving up, I am going to learn my less and do the MCAT again. This time, I am going to be prepared... lol Anyways, I have just registered for a test session on August 24th, 2010. This gives me a little over three months to prepare for the MCAT. Given the immense material that on the MCAT, I am very pressed for time. My plan is to borrow some test prep books from the library to review the basic sciences from highschool that I have completely forgotten. Then there is the verbal reasoning that I simply don't understand. Last but not least there is the writing component, which really isn't that bad compared to the other sections if it weren't for the half-an-hour time limit. By listing out how much crap I have to go through over the next three month is giving me a panic attack... brb *45 minutes later... Ok, so here's the plan. I am going to start by reviewing the basic science concepts that I am responsible for the MCAT. Of the four kinds of sciences (physics, physical chem, organic chem and biology) I feel that physics is the most distant, and it would be a good idea to start with it to allow more time allocated to study for it. At the same time I will be writing two writing pieces per day using the prompts given on the AAMC website (http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm). Hopefully I'll finish all the writing samples on this site. For the verbal reasoning, I will start by building a strong vocabulary because I feel one of the most important reasons that I flunked my first MCAT is the inability to understand the passages, let alone analyzing it.

This is starting to sound like a long and tedious summer...

Anyways, I will be posting my progress and any helpful study tips on this blog. Starting tommorrow I will also be posting my writing pieces and my own commentaries. 103 days until my MCAT... lets get to work!

EDIT: I just counted the number of writing prompts on AAMC website... there are 375 promps (took me 5 minutes just to count the whole damn thing... wtf?) Given only 103 days, I think I will need to write at least 3 or 4 writing samples per day to finish everything... Such an ambition plan... ><

No comments:

Post a Comment