Monday, May 17, 2010

Kaplan!

So after careful consideration, I have finally made the decision to pay the $1500 to take the MCAT prep course with Kaplan. I figured since they have this high score guarentee, if I under-performed on the MCAT I can always get my money back. On the other hand, if I did well, I might be able to get into medical school, lol, in which case $1500 should come to me in no time at all. :) The course itself will consist of 24 sessions that is divided into 54 hours of instruction and 32 hours of mock tests. The class room instruction is divided into different parts, each focusing on a specific section of the MCAT, and there are also strategic sessions dispersed throughout the course to give tips on stress management as well as score optimization. Unlike with Princeton Review, the different sections of the course will be taught by a single instructor.

Personally I would actually prefer the course be taught by different instructors that are more "specialized" in their fields. Also, the likelihood of getting stuck with 5 lousy instructors is much lower than the likelihood of getting stuck with just one lousy instructor, lol. However, I do like the way the Kaplan course is set up. The Kaplan program is much more spread out compared with the Princeton Review program. From what I have heard, Princeton Review program consisted of 5 classes per week, where as the Kaplan program only had 2 classes per week. (This still has to be verified...) I am personally a very slow learner, and I really need the time to digest the material taught in each class before moving on. So admist my busy research schedule, it would be a lot better to take the Kaplan program so that I can spend some time to review and preview each class' material before attending the session.

I really hope that the $1500 will be worth it... lol, I was saving up for a MacBook Pro... but I guess I am back to square one with that... >< From my previous experience with the SAT's I think I am in good hands. Kaplan people seems to know what they are talking about. The most important thing is the database of questions Kaplan has on the Internet. It was IMMENSE! I hope I can find enough time to fully take advantage of the database. I might even share some difficult questions on this blog ;)

2 comments:

Sarah Ambrose said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, im taking MCAT classes too, I noticed that this blog is quite old, so just wondering if you got into medschool?

Anonymous said...

Probably

Post a Comment